Ransomware is a type of malicious software attack which blocks access to data until some ransom/money is paid. In this attack a screen asks for ransom and block all your access to data until a amount is paid. The attacks usually locks all data from computer with a lock screen or just encrypt computer which a normal user cannot remove. The block can only removed by decryption key which has been set. The another way of removing lock is to reset your computer, but this solution erase all your precious data. This was popular in Russia in 2013 and then grown internationally.
WannaCry Ransomware is a type of ransomware which encrypts all data and files and ask for money US $300 bitcoins. This attack have affected 150+ countries all over the world. WannaCry ask for $300 bitcoins and warns that it will double the amount within 3 days and after 7 days it will delete all encrypted files . The Great Britain has been highly affected by this cyber attack even National Health Service of Britain. WannaCry attack affects to following formats; .lay6, .sqlite3, sqlitedb, .accdb, .java, .class, .mpeg, .djvu, .tiff, .backup, .vmdk, .sldm, .sldx, .potm, .potx, .ppam, .ppsm, .pptm, .xltm, .xltx, .xlsb, .xlsm, .dotx, .dotm, .docm, .docb, .jpeg, .onetoc2, .vsdx, .pptx, .xlsx, .docx.
Remedies For WannnaCry Ransomware
Following are some remedies for WannaCry Ransomware, read full and implement to prevent yourself from such attacks. Share this to your friends and family for their safty.
- Don’t open attachments from unknown or unexpected emails, even if they come from your known contacts list, never click the link/URL provided in any e-mail even if it looks genuine just open browser and open that institution website directly. There are some files like taskche.exe which is cause of WannaCry Ransomware attack. If you find anything specious report such mail.
- Ensure all your software’s, operating systems are up-to-date with latest software patches. Don’t download any thing from unknown source or non trusted sites.
- Ensure your computer is running with antivirus software with latest update and signature.
- If infected immediately disconnect your computer from the network by pulling the LAN cable and call your operating system service provider or information security team.
- While browsing ensure that your web browser is secure and trusted. The browser must have appropriate content controls.
- Ensure you must backup your all data or at least important/critical data. In case you infected don’t connect any external device to take backup unless drive is completely clean.
- Do not open or share any video named “Dance Of Hillary” message through any social media or e-mail.
- Don’t share anything on social media or on email blindly without seeing its originality and authority.
- Share awareness and important remedies to society.